The kid is away for the school holidays. That’s two whole weeks. And on my second childless night I have already descended into the two-minute-noodles-for-dinner type living that childlessness encourages. It turns out that the kid is the only reason I keep shit together round here!
Other novelties of the childless that I have indulged in the last two days:
- Leaving the house on time in the morning
- Not having to sprint out the door of work at 3.55pm and stress my way through motorway traffic so as not to piss off the kid’s after school carers
- Not packing for a year long trip to Siberia and the Pacific Islands every time I decide to go anywhere
- Going on a date! To a restaurant! And a movie! Without having to put the kid to bed first!
- Eating ice cream without having to wash and tidy away the evidence
- Taking my sweet time in the supermarket
- Not worrying about contracting nits/gastro/the flu/any other child-borne infectious illness
- Geeking when I get home from work instead of having to do cooking/cleaning/bathing/bedtime routine upon setting foot in the house
It’s bliss I tell ya. Bliiiiiisssss. But I do miss the kidlet. Especially when I get emails from my Mum about Han loving the “liiiiiberry” (library) and making Mr. Fox masks. And when I have to ask her a zillion questions to have a conversation with her, but as soon as I mention going out for dinner and a movie, she asks me a zillion questions.
I do intend to actually be productive this next two weeks without the kidlet. Which is part of the reason I feel able to renew a commitment to being a blog geek. I’m going to attempt to get things going around here again by blogging every. single. day. Consider this number 1 people. The challenge will officially be over on May 8th. Yuhuh.
So… see ya tomorrow!